Friday, March 13, 2015

Pride and Prejudice

The humbled and the exalted.
9 He then addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else. 10 “Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity—greedy, dishonest, adulterous—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’ 13 But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, ‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”-Luke18:9-14

One day my friend shared that when she was in the middle of her job training, one boss shared that he doesn't prefer graduates from top schools because the latter usually fights back, talks back, arrogant, and so forth. But, when my sister was looking for a job many years ago, she encountered many executives who prefer graduates of top schools, graduates who studied with this or that professor, graduates with 'connections directly or indirectly,' graduates who revolve in the same circle with them, executives, one way or another. Years before, a boss asked me who I prefer as friends, and I said, "Anybody." He said, "No! Pick only the rich, the well-connected, and brilliant. Because a janitor cannot help you when you are in trouble. They will even ask money from you. Make friends with the elite only. They alone can help you." I do not exactly agree with him because one way or another, a person is capable of helping me or others regardless of his/her status.
The world is full of prejudice and discrimination. We may deny it, we may say we haven't done it, but in truth, we have done it perhaps unconsciously or indirectly. Jesus is teaching us to be humble always. He is reminding us that we are all created the same way, have committed sins, imperfect. Who are we, then, to separate ourselves from the rest of humanity, if we have sinned just like the rest? Rather than focusing on ourselves and in our own human capacities and successes, let us bear in mind that God is the true Bringer of all that we enjoy in life. "God can give and can take away."

Image courtesy: The Passion of the Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment