Thursday, March 26, 2015

Jesus is knocking in our hearts

Jesus is I AM.
51 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” 52 [So] the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham,[a] who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ 55 You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word. 56 Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it[b] and was glad. 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?”[c] 58 [d]Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.-John8:51-59

As I read the gospel reading and as I put myself in the shoes of the people during Jesus' time, in some way I understand how they feel. Jesus speaks the truth of His identity, but it is difficult to understand. It is difficult to understand because the people cannot accept it. The people cannot accept it because their hearts are closed all along. Today, the Church continues to battle the close and hardened hearts of some people. Many people today like to accomplish things instantly. Instant coffee, instant laundry, instant cooking, instant money, etc. When things go wrong, these people want to end it instantly as well. Few seem to care to the marriage vows of "... for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and health, till death do us part." Now, if it's worse, poverty or sickness, a husband or wife can walk away from their marriage by justifying themselves that they are not happy anymore, so why stick in an unhappy union? Jesus continues to knock in our hearts. Jesus continues to put His faith in us that we will open our heart, mind and soul to Him. Instant doesn't mean the right answer to all our troubles. Listening to Jesus and letting Him guide us will make life happier and better.


Image courtesy: St. Tekla 

No comments:

Post a Comment