Thursday, October 23, 2014

Divided World

Together we stand, divided we fall.

49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”-Luke12:49-53

As I read and reflected the Gospel reading, I am still wondering why Jesus said, "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division." But isn't it true that Jesus is the Prince of Peace? We greet one another with glad tidings during Christmas season, and this greeting is sourced from the joy the world felt during Jesus' birth. Division, and not peace, is simply something so baffling.

But there is truth to it. I know of a former police officer who never liked going to church. Always he would say, "I have no sin! So I am not obligated to attend the Mass." or "Others are more sinful that I am. If they don't go to church, neither do I." Sometimes he would disappear until the day is over just to escape the Mass. At times, he would just be quiet and block everybody from his senses. His attitude caused division to his family until finally he changed. John the Baptist caused such a division that displeased some powerful people that led to his death. In the movie "Brother Sun, Sister Moon," Francis of Assisi separated himself from his family when chose a poor life. Claire of Assisi, too, caused a division in her family when she chose to be a nun rather than a bride to a noble lord which caused much displeasure to her father.

To be with Christ sometimes cause division. Christ teaches poverty, simplicity, humility and other values and virtues. But many are not followers of these virtues and values. Some people shun poverty because they prefer a world of materialism and worldly wealth. They would say, "Why deprive myself since I have money to make me happy?" Some people shun simplicity. They would say, "I need expensive and classy bags, shoes, dresses, accessories... I have to be fashionable." Some people shun humility. They would say, "To be powerful is to be accepted." We need not be a divided world if we only open ourselves to Jesus. His way is always the right way. His way always brings contentment and bliss. His way is always love and peace. Let the fire of Jesus' love heal and bring us home to the Father!

Image courtesy: crestock.com; unknown artist; D.Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment