Monday, February 2, 2015

Storms of Life

Be still!
35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”-Mark4:35-41
Once, I was in the middle of a storm in my life. Just like Jesus' disciples, I asked for God's help and mercy. In the Gospel reading, Jesus rebuked the wind and the waves, then there was calm since the storm was silenced. But my own storm was not silenced. It proceeded in my life and left me with nothing. I felt, too, the highest abandonment from God. However, despite the fact that seemingly God abandoned me and the storm continued to wreck havoc in my life, I believe that in reality, God never left me because the storm never crushed my spirit and my faith. Rather than see the damage of the storm in my life or things that are lost, there is much to be thanked at, there is much accomplishment in me after the storm. Rather than look at what was gone, I looked at what is yet to be gained. Rather than see the "pounding and chiseling of the rock" (in my life) as punishment, I looked at it as a process that I need to undergo through so that the "diamond" in me will come out. The Whys and mysteries of life will be answered by God at the right time and place, but until that time comes, we are all invited to trust Him and His plan for us more than ever.

Painting by: Ludolf Backhuysen (Christ in Storm in the Sea)

No comments:

Post a Comment